Thursday, August 14, 2008

Football...

Well, its that time again. Time for me to start writing? No, time for football, football, and more football. In that I mean NFL, college, and EPL. I'm going to start with NFL, because there is always the most poo to fling in this subject.

Lets start with the players association. They want a rookie pool limit, they want their head out. They still haven't gotten a whiff of either. Though, if I was the head of a high profile, high paying players union, I wouldn't leave quietly either.

Next to Brett Favre. This was followed with as many cameras as ESPN could muster... and they had their reasons. Brett is always honest. Makes for great TV... though I think most people wanted to stake their eye by the end of it. Its too bad he ended up in NY. As a fan, it would have been enjoyable to watch Minnesota roll into Green Bay on that opening game with Brett at the helm. Now THAT'S great TV. As a Vikings fan, however, I'm glad he didn't end up in Purple. Partially because purple isn't really Brett's color and partially because its just distracting for a team.

Now for an overall look at the AFC. Patriots are still the team to beat. I hope no one will argue that point. However, the Colts, Chargers, and Jags will make their life very, very difficult. If the Jags can keep from imploding, that is. I think it really is a 4 team race. I would be willing to through in the Steelers as well, but something tells me they are just missing 'it' this year. I say this, but I'm usually wrong on these points. Two other fun points... will the Madden curse hit Brett? Will the Superbowl loser curse hit NE? Finally can Russell/McFadden get the Raiders to respectable?

The NFC is a bit more exciting this year (finally). The story lines are great entertainment in themselves. The Saints will score, but can they stop anyone (I think they can)? Dallas brings back a very good team, but will they get by their own division? The Eagles should jump right back into the playoff hunt. Can Eli stay on the war path that he started just before the playoffs last year? Can Minnesota follow Peterson into the playoffs, or will Jackson drag them to the earth? Can Rodgers get by a nasty schedule (defense-wise) to show that he's the real deal? Will the Seahawks leave their claws on their division? Will Steven Jackson ever get to camp?Lastly, will Atlanta stave off the #1 draft pick? The NFC is quite a bog this year, and a lot of teams could crawl to the surface, but I'd say money is on Dallas and the Eagles fighting for the Superbowl bid.

How about some college football. I could talk for days here, and likely will, but to start with just a few nuggets to get us going. Ohio State is scary this year, but I don't think they'll make the national championship game. I just think their conference will play them tough. Georgia is in the same boat. Injuries have started hitting the bulldawgs, and I just don't think they can play the whole season without a loss in the SEC. In the Pac-10, as usual, USC is looking to dominate, but I think that Ohio State may come into town and shut the Trojan's down for the night. I really hope everyone uses Saban and the Tide as a punching bag (personal note). I like the Tide, I'm just not a fan of Saban. And of course Michigan. I think Rich Rodriguez will get that team back on its feet this year, but not necessarily in the title hunt.

Finally, EPL. I have to say that the 'transfer window' is a horrible thing to do to a fan. They sell players off left and right! Anyway, I'm excited for the season. I think Chelsea will likely dominate this year, but Man U and Liverpool should be right there. I'm hoping Portsmouth and Man City finally get their stuff together, but with all years, I doubt they will.

There you have it hopefully I'll beupdating more, but this has been a matter of fact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No Big Sky Comments, have you lost track of your roots??? Where will you be in just a couple of days??? Not watching any of those other games in person. Hmmm???? Big Sky wrapup, please!